Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Winter Wildflowers

 


Canes of brown
 bending towards 
     the clean whiteness,

Adorned with dried gray flowerettes
  at the end of
      thin, fragile shoots,

Fluffy parachute seeds
   still clinging to the
       vestiges of summer beauty.



As I followed my husband’s snowshoe tracks, I noticed a trail marking sign peeping over the edge of the inches of snow. We were on the Wildflower Trail.

I chuckled to myself- “Yeah- sure! Wildflowers in winter, I wish. Now all I will see is a blank palette of white.”

We progressed down the trail towards the ice crusted lake. Alongside our steps, brown and gray stalks shivered in the winter wind. 

I carefully stepped close to a delicate brown stem and paused. There were remnants of flowers opened wide looking like tan daisies with darker brown centers. Some even had tufts of white, fluffy parachute seeds still holding fast to the plant that produced them.

I immediately grabbed my phone to capture this unexpected beauty right in front of me. Winter wildflowers do exist and still offer beauty to those ready to behold it.

I guess that the trail is correctly named. 







2 comments:

  1. Cathy, you have such an eye for nature. I love your posts. If Ii haven't said it before, I believe you have truly found your blogging-niche.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Donnetta! That means a great deal coming from you. I appreciate you helping me find my way.

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...