Sunday, August 6, 2023

Perfect Teaspoonfuls of Creation

Sunny yellow finch 
perched on a coral zinnia- 
for just a moment 

White, pink-streaked petals 
stretching up towards sun's light- 
bloom lasts only days 

Blue body at rest 
still transparent wings outstretched- 
scared off suddenly 

At the horizon
sun in cotton candy sky- 
quickly fades to black 

Take notice of these perfect 
teaspoonfuls of creation.




The other day I was reading a book, Stitches, by Anne Lamott. A phrase she wrote stood out to me and would not leave my mind over the next few days- "perfect teaspoon of creation" (pg. 89) 

Then this morning, I was sitting in my living room when a yellow finch perched on the tippy-top of my orange zinnia. The two vibrant colors were just striking together. It lasted less than a minute but it struck me that this moment was one of those perfect teaspoonfuls of creation. 

Then as I went through the rest of my Sunday, I remained open to noticing these teaspoonfuls. I watched a gorgeous turquoise dragonfly rest for less than 30 seconds on a bush but oh was his color magnificent! I also walked through a garden of blooming lotus flowers and was in awe of their delicate beauty. Their blooms will only last 3-4 days but what an example of perfect creation they are! (Bergen Water Gardens and Nursery is a stunning place to visit and see these flowers in their glory.)

After collecting so many teaspoonfuls today, I knew I needed to write a poem to capture all of the beauty surrounding us each day. So I hope this poem inspires you to take notice of the perfect teaspoonfuls of creation that are all around you.  



Poetry Form: Haiku Sonnet
4 haikus and then a couplet of 5 or 7 syllables
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...