Sunday, May 16, 2021

Comforting Coo

Each morning your coo awakens me,

comforting me in my sorrow.

A companion for my heart

as I walk through the loss,

Your mourning greeting

let’s me know I’m

not alone.

You are

here.


I have a sweet affection for Mourning Doves. They have brought me comfort since I was 17. This week was the anniversary of my dad’s passing and their coo’s were heard again this week.

Here is a small piece from a notebooking entry last May about my relationship with these birds, especially the two always on my front walkway.

The last few mornings I have been awakened by the lamenting coo of the Mourning Dove. I do love to hear this soothing sound each day. It brings back memories of my dad. The Mourning Dove was truly that for me. A friend each morning during my grieving over the unexpected loss of my father. I had never had a dove like this at my house before but from the day he passed, one cooed to me each morning. It brought comfort during a time of heartache and uncertainty. It was my grief friend. Now, I hear it daily again during this pandemic. Maybe, just maybe, it is a sign from my dad that he is near and we will all emerge from this darkness too.


Poetry form: Nonet (9 lines- 9 syllables in first line, 8 syllables in 2nd line, etc. till last line is 1 syllable) 

Image- my attempt at nature journaling/drawing


No comments:

Post a Comment

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...