Monday, April 3, 2023

Psithurism

 




Psithurism

def: the sound of wind in the trees

A secret rustle
gently rolls leaves to and fro
comfort on the breeze

Long exhaled whooshes
sway treetops in unison
gaining momentum

Continuous groans
as branches shake, rattle and roll
change is a coming

Howling, shrieking force
splintering arms from core
will the damage heal

What melody will your symphony compose today?
The musicians are at the mercy of the mercurial mistral.


This poem is for Day 3 of the #VerseLove Poetry Challenge. The prompt today was to choose a word that resonates with you and then create a Haiku Sonnet. This form of poetry has 4 haikus and then 2 lines at the end to make 14 lines like a sonnet. 

7 comments:

  1. I’ve never knew there was a name to that sound! That’s lovely! Thanks for writing today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy, I appreciate the wonderful new word you used and the video shared. I agree with you on this: Poetry + Nature + Lifescapes. If you add = sign after Lifescapes and then add a word you can create an equation poem. I am contemplating writing a haiku sonnet. Thank you for sharing this. If interested, check out my invitation slice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. An equation poem that is new to me! I will have to check that out. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. Wow, Cathy, I love the sounds of /s/ in the first two haikus. Then the "Continuous groans" and "shake, rattle and roll" indicating the changes coming. Wonderful! That last line is a masterpiece: "The musicians are at the mercy of the mercurial mistral." Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that last line stood out to you. I reworded and revised it many, many times until I felt it worked.

      Delete
  4. From a rustle to howling and shrieking--your four haikus take me there and then your last two lines leave me wondering. This was a prompt in the February challenge with Laura Shovan, and I loved learning all the new words from Stacey. I might have to relook at mine (petichor-the smell of rain) and see if I can turn it into a haiku sonnet. Thanks for participating in Solace & Connection!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A new word! And a poem and clip to bring it to life. I enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...