Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Am I that Acorn?

 


Tossing, turning, submerging, floating

Through cresting, crashing rhythmic waves

Cascading towards the shore

Grounded by gritty sand

As water retreats

A voyager

Rests in sun

Stillness

Calm


I was walking along the shore of Lake Ontario earlier this week and came upon a unique voyager on the waves. I stopped to watch as an acorn was batted about on the incoming waves. At times, it was visible, then not. It was upright and then topsy-turvy. Finally, it was deposited on the soaked sands as the waves retreated back into the lake. It’s wet shell glistened in the sun as it lay in stillness surrounded by other trinkets moved by the powerful force of water. I wonder if it was glad to find a resting place.

As I watched this acorn, I realized that I traveled the same path through this last year- being upright then the world being upside down. Being batted around by things out of my control- COVID, masking and social distancing guidelines, school guidelines changing daily, my college kids home then away then home. I felt like I was washed ashore at the end of the school year in June. I was able to just BE in summer stillness soaking up the sun. I had time to surround myself with friends who had made it through too and share our stories and complex feelings. I know that I was extremely glad to find a resting place for a few months this summer. I plan to soak up the last few weeks of just BEING.


Poetry Form: Nonet - a 9 line poem that has 9 syllables in the first line, 8 syllable in the 2nd line and so on. The last line contains 1 syllable.



1 comment:

  1. I loved reading this---having been with you when this little traveler was spotted. It is such a pleasure to have a window into how nature reaches you and how you then share it with others. I also love the form of Nonet--I will have to try it.

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...