Sunday, September 11, 2022

Memoir in the Mountains

 

Face

of Earth

through all time-

weathered and worn,

craggy, creased, wrinkled.

Frown   fissures   at   the   foot.

Laugh   lines  litter   the  steep   slope.

Crow’s  feet crack the sun-kissed  summit.

Earth’s    memoir    entombed   in    creation. 


While in Alaska, I sailed closely by many mountains. While in Glacier Bay, I noticed the many lines, cervices and cracks covering the surfaces. Immediately it popped into my head that these markings are similar to the wrinkles on our faces. People often mention that those wrinkles tell our story. I wish I could chat with the mountains to hear about the worries, joys and other experiences that left these markings on the Earth’s face. What would be told in the memoir of these mountains- I wonder…

Poetry Form: Nonet but I took the liberty to reverse it so I would say it is a Reverse Nonet. I started with 1 syllable on the first line and ended with 9 syllables for line 9.  I chose to do this so the poem could form a mountain with it words. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...