Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Embrace or Wither?


Searing heat

  radiates

from sun rays

to everything

they grace their

potent light upon.

Plants shrivel,

grass browns,

humans stay inside

to escape

the humid, hot,

instant sweat-creating air.

Waves upon waves

of increasing heat,

days upon days

of grilling sunshine,

no one ventures 

outdoors

to embrace summer joy-

so many days left to wither.


In my mind, summer is supposed to be filled with outdoor adventures surrounded by nature. It might be a Book Club meeting in a forest, a yoga class at a beach, or a hike in a cool creek. It is a time of outdoor enjoyment.

So the past few days have been horrible for me. I have stayed in my house basically all day. The feel like temperatures were above 100 and the humidity was so high. There was a Heat Advisory for the area. Honestly, if I just stepped out of the house and stood there, sweat would be dripping down my face. 

I HATE days like these. I know that I am probably in the minority in upstate New York because we don't have a long summer. But I truly don't understand the love for days like this. I can find nothing enjoyable about them. I don't want to live inside in July or have AC on all of the time. I love windows open and fresh air moving throughout the house.

These days of neighbors staying inside, no children's laughter filling the air and the hum of air conditioners running seems like such a waste of these precious summer days. Instead of the day being filled with life, its hours seem to wither away. 

Oh cooling breezes when will you arrive so I can again embrace the fullness of summer days!

2 comments:

  1. I'm not one for either extreme -- I live for spring and fall. This summer has been abnormally warm where I live too. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wither is the perfect word here! As much as I hate to admit it, I do wither in the heat.
    However I know people for whom this is what they wait for all year--to each his/her own.
    I love the imagery Cathy.

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...