Sunday, November 6, 2022

Do the Crunchy Leaf Shuffle

 


Step with your...

Right

         CRUNCH!

Left

         CRUNCH!

Right

         CRUNCH!

Left

         CRUNCH!


Kick your feet-

                         leaves in the air!

Kick your feet-

                          leaves in the air,

             in the air!

 

Drag your...

Left

         SWISH!

Right

         SWISH!

Left

         SWISH!

Right

         SWISH!


Breathe in deep-

                          Fall is in the air

Breathe in deep-

                          Fall is in the air,

              in the air.


This week has been absolutely gorgeous here in Upstate New York.  It is not often that is 70 and sunny at this time of year.  So I made sure to get out and go for a walk each day to soak up this precious gift of excellent weather. I know that many of my friends did too.

When scrolling through my social media feed, I noticed that many people were commenting on how they love the smell of the air and the sound of leaves crunching under feet. This sound only happens for a short time each year when the trees all seem to go bare within a week. 

All these comments inspired me to be very mindful on my next walk through the leaf strewn trail. I noticed the rhythm of my steps as well as the rhythm of the crunch. I also noticed that when the leaves were an inch or so deep that I liked to drag my feet through the piles for the swish sound that occurred. Of course, fallen leaves also brought out the kid in me as I kicked and threw leaves into the air. It was wonderful to play this way again. I was certainly smiling at the end of my walk.

That fun playful experience led to the idea of writing a Crunchy Leaf Shuffle. I wanted to share the joy of those moments in the leaves with others. Maybe while reading the poem, you were able to connect with the rhythm.  If you did, I encourage you to go outside and find some leaves. Then do the Crunchy Leaf Shuffle.  I hope it leaves you smiling and laughing.

                       

1 comment:

  1. I love the crunch leaves, the beautiful color and the earthy smell. We are so lucky!

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...