Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Just like a Child



It's coming overnight.

Eager anticipation pulses in my being,

just like a child.


Morning breaks - no arrival.

My joy shrinks,

just like a child.


Rain, rain- WAIT!- is it one white flake?

Dash to the window,

just like a child.


First flakes prance through the air.

A smile plays on my face,

just like a child.


Joyful magic of season's change 

Bubbles excitement deep within,

just like a child.


The first flakes of the season were forecasted last weekend. I was excited to hear this and eagerly awaited the sight of white in the air. I know everyone doesn’t view the first snow in such a positive way and some even find it depressing.

One thing I do know for sure is that children LOVE the first snowfall. As a primary teacher for many years, I know that when the first flakes are in sight everything needs to stop. All of their attention is out the window and they are literally jumping up and down with excitement. My class gathers around the windows and just takes in the beauty and magic of the snow fluttering through the sky. It is great to just take in the joy on their faces.

As adults, I hope that we can be like young children and look on with awe as the season’s mark their change with this beauty of white. Take a moment, pause and look with open eyes.



1 comment:

  1. This captures the magic beautifully! My daughter, who teaches third grade, always takes her students out for the first snow! I don't know if it's for them or for her?!?

    ReplyDelete

The After Tears

The storm has rolled out, an ordinary calm carries in on its coattails. All looks right in the world until a subtle rustle  and plink-ploppi...